Skip to main content

"Landscapes of Memory..." Reading Response

I really appreciated reading this piece because it brought to light a view of the debated which I've hardly heard about or understood. I never thought about how seeing these figures or events being portrayed in positive or unrealistically ideal fashions could influence a viewer. As a response, I am still left unsure there is a right way with how to deal with the situation

In my personal experience, I heard the problems people were having with these sculptures was merely rooted in the fact that they represented people and events as they were seen at the time, despite that it no longer follows the commonly accepted beliefs of the present. I understood this problem then to be emphasized by the plaques that were originally created to define the monuments for viewers with words that followed the old ideas. Therefor, I thought the problems were more in the need for the plaques to be updated with clauses that may or may not preserve the original intent, while building on to state the currently accepted views on the subject.

It was interesting just how much this article established the idea that in the visual representation of subject could influence the viewer even without the plaques. This is something I don't personally relate to, and therefor feel torn in how much I agree with it. I can definitely understand it, if prefaced with the fact that in such a situation I would already know who or what the monument represented. Even without words, the monuments do resonate certain messages. But, my problem comes with the prefaced fact, which I don't usually find true in my life personally. I don't usually know the particular person or event which is being portrayed and therefor only usually interpret the monuments on the most basic level. Examples include a tall soldier who represents the love we should have for the brave participants fighting for the country, or a mountain or people climbing to reach for something which represents the need force perseverance in the face of survival. In these cases, they are no more than men and women whom I attach my own beliefs to until I become aware of the precise subject being portrayed.

Unfortunately, this article has brought me no closer for a right, one-size-fits-all-solution to the situation. I wish I could say that I believe there is one, but I think it is a very situational case that will only be able to proceed based on the individual beliefs of the public surrounding each monument. The article inspires some new solutions, but none that I believe can fix even a majority of the current conflicts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 3; Progress Post 1

As mentioned in my proposal, my concept was unfinished in planning. In order to finish and get an idea for how the model would be created, I used Maya to build a rough prototype. A very rough prototype.  A later beneficial idea as that I would be able to take my Maya reference and create an animation to demonstrate what my model would look like in the correct materials and functioning. Unfortunately, my modeling skills in Maya did not permit me to accurately rebuild the model. Additionally, importing the model file into Maya failed. Therefor the Maya model only functioned as a reference but it was much better to visualize from than drawings.