Skip to main content

Project 3; Progress Post 4


It is done!


I said this in the last post, it's not perfect but I'll take it. Id say it's a win overall and I'm happy with it.


I got all the pieces glued and I used sticky tack to get the structure attached to the base. Really, its 98% of what I had in mind and I'm impressed with myself for being able to recreate it to that level. My next step, if this were real, would be figuring out the materials I would need to build a functional prototype. 


And honestly, and I just might keep this idea in my back pocket. I'm passionate about what it means to me and I wouldn't mind trying to make this come to life further.


The idea and symbolism of my monument was directly inspired by my personal response to monuments across the US being removed. Given that the monuments are removed in feeling rooted of fear for the past, I felt what replaces them should be rooted in pride for the future. Participants enter the monument with their original ideas of the world and how it works, therefor the first rooms are designed to disrupt that perception. As light comes through the holes and slats of the otherwise dark room, high contrast will be created over all surfaces and the participants; it will alter how participants will literally view each other. However, holes in the wall will be made small enough that participants cannot easily view out of them as this is not the intent of the first room.
Participants then move into the second room, where the high light-dark contrast will continue. However, carved into these walls are words with intended positive and inspiring meaning. The catch is, participants cannot read the words while they casting shadows through the room. Instead, the words are carved so they can be read while looking at the walls, in large fonts, which should encourage participants to look out to the world through the words. In a literal sense the intent is to urge participants to connect these positive words to the world around them. Any words which the participants cannot easily attribute or relate to becomes a call for action to help change or develop the world into a greater place.
Finally participants enter the final room which they have not yet visited. It serves as a lingering separation and reminder of their responsibility to change the world into something better than which they found it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 3; Progress Post 1

As mentioned in my proposal, my concept was unfinished in planning. In order to finish and get an idea for how the model would be created, I used Maya to build a rough prototype. A very rough prototype.  A later beneficial idea as that I would be able to take my Maya reference and create an animation to demonstrate what my model would look like in the correct materials and functioning. Unfortunately, my modeling skills in Maya did not permit me to accurately rebuild the model. Additionally, importing the model file into Maya failed. Therefor the Maya model only functioned as a reference but it was much better to visualize from than drawings. 

"Landscapes of Memory..." Reading Response

I really appreciated reading this piece because it brought to light a view of the debated which I've hardly heard about or understood. I never thought about how seeing these figures or events being portrayed in positive or unrealistically ideal fashions could influence a viewer. As a response, I am still left unsure there is a right way with how to deal with the situation In my personal experience, I heard the problems people were having with these sculptures was merely rooted in the fact that they represented people and events as they were seen at the time, despite that it no longer follows the commonly accepted beliefs of the present. I understood this problem then to be emphasized by the plaques that were originally created to define the monuments for viewers with words that followed the old ideas. Therefor, I thought the problems were more in the need for the plaques to be updated with clauses that may or may not preserve the original intent, while building on to state the cu