Skip to main content

Artist Research 2

Figure 1, Tampa Bay Hotel
Artist: Jorge Orta

Light art has always been something that has fascinated me. Maybe it's the sheer size which this art takes form, or maybe it is the poetic archetype of light and dark coming together for the sake of beauty. Who knows? But, I do know this artist is really cool (Plus he uses the coolest places to show his art, see figure 1).

Figure 2, El Zocalo
I can't say I totally understand the point Jorge Orta is trying to make. It is very abstract and his one fault is the protrusions of the building don't help the clarity of the scene. However, I did read his bio to find out it connects to his strong interest in politics, injustice, and revolution. I know those are strong motivators and make total sense when explaining why he projects light shows in the areas and buildings he does. They all have a common theme of cultural significance and in places which have experienced political injustice. But, still the shapes and colors which Orta employs doesn't convey such messages for me. I see a modern-meets-antique sculpture which updates the antique symbolism of the embodiment of a culture. The is, he is using modern techniques which alters the antique buildings that have represented these cultures throughout, at least, recent history. But, the shapes and designs he uses still call on the traditional themes of that culture's art, language, etc. It is a very stunning combination visually, but I feel it misses the mark on the injustice and revolutionary themes Orta intends.

Figure 4, Palaise de Tau
Figure 3, Palaise de Tau
Of course, there are exceptions. Of course the work with El Zocalo, Mexico City, Mexico (Figure 2) is very obvious with the injustice and call for revolution as guns are projected on the walls. Yet, then the Palaise de Tau, Reims Cathedral, France (Figures 3 and 4) portrayed a variety of images that I didn't understand to be in the same theme. But, at least I can still say in the end that I enjoy his work; particularly the colors. Orta is obviously unafraid to be bold with his statements and make them heard. I can't imagine being able to pass these sites without noticing them. I would love the chance to see one in person, and try to further understand the points he is trying to make with each. Even with the short descriptions for the work, perhaps the key is to better know the culture itself which he portrays. Regardless, the ability to plan something so well that it can be blown up onto the side of the building is just incredible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Landscapes of Memory..." Reading Response

I really appreciated reading this piece because it brought to light a view of the debated which I've hardly heard about or understood. I never thought about how seeing these figures or events being portrayed in positive or unrealistically ideal fashions could influence a viewer. As a response, I am still left unsure there is a right way with how to deal with the situation In my personal experience, I heard the problems people were having with these sculptures was merely rooted in the fact that they represented people and events as they were seen at the time, despite that it no longer follows the commonly accepted beliefs of the present. I understood this problem then to be emphasized by the plaques that were originally created to define the monuments for viewers with words that followed the old ideas. Therefor, I thought the problems were more in the need for the plaques to be updated with clauses that may or may not preserve the original intent, while building on to state the cu

Project 3; Progress Post 1

As mentioned in my proposal, my concept was unfinished in planning. In order to finish and get an idea for how the model would be created, I used Maya to build a rough prototype. A very rough prototype.  A later beneficial idea as that I would be able to take my Maya reference and create an animation to demonstrate what my model would look like in the correct materials and functioning. Unfortunately, my modeling skills in Maya did not permit me to accurately rebuild the model. Additionally, importing the model file into Maya failed. Therefor the Maya model only functioned as a reference but it was much better to visualize from than drawings.